Tuesday, December 13, 2011

90!

 I walk in and two little white napkins adorn the table where we will sit. The house is warm and toasty. We sit and chit-chat. She gracefully gets up and moves across her clean and orderly little kitchen. She pops two muffins in the micro and pours two cups-o-coffee from an electric coffee pot into two cups awaiting in prepared order on her counter. She asks " do you mind if we use paper plates?" "Oh of course not was my reply.....they are a staple at our house!!!" A cute little creamer cup is in her hand as she returns, she drinks it black, but I am not 90 but I will when I get 90!! She sits and we clasp hands and pray over our muffins but I can already tell this was not her first prayer of the morning......it likely began very early before I even arrived.  She told me she became a christian at age 8.....lets see, she has been a christian for 82 years!! She showed me a thimble that her grandparents had in the Civil War, she said she collected them and was quite annoyed that if the box had "thimble" written on, she was sure someone was really dumb!! She showed me a photo that had a little doggie made out of orange crates she got for her 5th birthday, she showed me a handsome man with steel blue eyes that at 6 feet towered over her petite frame and widowed of 20+ years. She told me those steel eyes could tell what a person was really made of. She misses him but is hopeful of the "one day!!" She tells me about her car and people are wanting to buy it. I am wondering if possibly "he" is trying to make a move on her/ like boyfriend her up!! She laughs heartily!!  She tells stories of horse and buggy days, of model T's. She tells me she has not got her neighbors to cook for her yet, so she is still doing her own cooking!! She tells me parts of scriptures but I can tell I only heard a "sprinkle" of what her head and heart really hold. She talks of her family! She tells me what her days are like.....busy, busy, busy!! There are only brief moments of silence as she tells story after story. I listen. I don't have anything to "give" her. n one and one-half hours time I tell her how we organize our socks. There is just so much to absorb! She did ask me about Daniel's upcoming trip to Australia. My visit was worth her wisdom to a mom's heart...... that is, yes, excited but also sad that he is going, cause I am going to miss him.....she tells me "the closes distance between two people is through the throne of grace."  I hold back the tears but she gets a box of tissue anyway. There is no way to absorb 82 years of grace in one and one-half hours of visit, but it was wonderful to be in a place where grace is seen, is used, is lived out, is given to those who sit at her table with dainty little napkins! Somehow, Lord, somehow.......make me full of this grace!!!

That was a blessed morning with a dear lady in our church!! So rich with unmeasurable qualities of Christ in her life! I want to experience it again soon!





My dad and Shirley came for a visit this past weekend of course our children enjoy being with him. Games, and more games!! He always has to "show" them how to play and win!! They are a blessing to us!! After I took this picture, it just got me thinking of all that he has done in life.....raising me, working at the Railroad and retiring from there, helping take care of Caleb and Daniel when they were little fellas, showing them the hammer and nails when we were at their house! Generously giving to our family on many occasions. I guess I just feel a wave of gratefulness for him and Shirley! His hands prove he has labored but his labors have blessed others and for that I am grateful!!


Tuesday.......the guys did not work today, rain here so that squelched their job!! Terry had to go the Dr. He has been cutting wood and splitting it, thinking he is like 20ish and has done something to his shoulder. They did an x-ray and it has something to do with his rotor cup, but hopefully it might can heal if he does not over-use it otherwise its to the orthopedic fella!! That would not be good timing since Daniel is fixing to leave on the 31st and it will be him and Elijah!! eeeeek!!!!

Bethany helped me make these dangerous things yesterday!!! Make and eat at your own risk!!

Reese's Cheesecake Brownies

1 -box of brownie fudge mix
1 -8oz cream cheese softened
1 -14oz can sweetened cond milk
1/2  c. peanut butter
12  oz  reese's pieces candy
1  12oz  bag milk choc chips
3 TBL whipping cream
12 large Reese Peanut Butter cups chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, lightly spray 13x9 pan
Prepare brownie mix according to package directions, spread in pan and set aside
In large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy, add condensed milk and peanut butter, stir in reese pieces. Spoon mixture over batter and spread evenly.
Bake for 4o min or until cheesecake is set and edges are lightly golden. Cool for 30 minutes. and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
In small sauce pan or micro melt choc chips and whipping cream until smooth. Spread over cheesecake and sprinkle chopped reese cups over top. Refrigerate for an hour or so!

Enjoy!!!!!!





Cindy

No comments: