Wednesday, March 10, 2010

buried faith???

If something is "found" then the thought goes, that prior it could have been unseen, buried, not as visible, covered, hid. I read a verse this morning, that the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honor and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ. I Peter 1:7 So in speaking of "faith," I feel sure prior to Joel's illness much of my faith, if not most of it was unseen, buried, hid, covered. In these days we say we have faith but it lays dormant, un-exercised, its there but non- active. I think some of our faith is buried under convenience, comfortableness, pleasure filled lives, smooth routines. When everything around us is working such as cars, vehicles, appliances, lights, water we don't exercise faith, we flip switches! When we have health, energy, good daily habits we move about the day without much thought of how quickly circumstances can change. Right now, I would say some of my faith is buried under a van outside that has become a new decoration piece to our lawn......wondering how I am going to get do errands, get groceries this week, why we can not all go to church together on Sunday. I want to have faith that it will all work out and my dear husband assures me it will but you know......I just lack faith. How does one get more faith? How does it come out of dormancy, become unhidden, come to the surface instead of being buried? The scripture says by trials. I know for me, when things break, I seek the Lord, because we do not have resources to fix them, when health issues occur we cry out to the Lord for wisdom and direction and help, when needs/desires arise in this house, its go and pray!!!!!!!......... for boots, for items that do bring pleasure such as bows, bikes ect. So it is in trials, hardships, difficulties, rough, bumpy, turbulent, troublesome times that our faith is increased because we are desperate for outside help instead of banks and plastic cards that fix it or give it quick. Faith is found. Our faith then brings glory, praise and honor as the verse says to the Lord because we build a testimony of looking, waiting for God to act, work and grant according to His will. Others see it and then their faith is encouraged, found, uncovered. The Lord brought also to my mind of the scripture that speaks of "training up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it." We are to train them in truth, to be mighty, to be valiant, but also we need to train, impart to them "through much tribulation we must enter the kingdom of God." We need to tell them of the imprisonments, beatings, shiprecks, being without as Paul. We need to tell them of John Bunyan's difficulties. We need to tell them and read to them of the martyrs, the Adonis Judson's, Corrie TenBoom and ever so many of the great patriarchs that suffered, that had great trials! For them to see of others that had testimonies of great faith but were tried as by fire. Especially in the days we live now, faith is crucial. Of having hope, believing and trusting when things are not smooth, when life's circumstances are rough, when health fails, tragedy comes. I do not want to sound gloom and doom but trials bring out, uncover our faith. I am sure not going to go and pray for one but they do bring a greater faith. How deep in convenience/comfortableness is ours buried??? We all need to continue to grow there by the sincere milk of the Word. Give me more faith, Lord, especially to believe I can have transportation for errands this week.......


Now, after reading that, if you wanna get a good cheer, check Bethany's blog out and read about her farm gal adventures!!! She F*I*N*A*L*L*Y posted something!!!!!!!!!










4 comments:

j said...

I hope your van situation gets fixed. THank you for sharing this. My faith gets burried often and I feel so bad about it sometimes, just not trusting Him for EVERYTHING. Hang in there. Hope you dig up that faith real soon :)

Jessica

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy-

Just wanted to let you know that your post really spoke to my heart and encouraged me. I am in a different stage of motherhood than you are--four young children with hopefully more to come, but I feel like I need to dig out my faith and trust in God, too. We are having health issues in our house and I am having trouble doing my shopping because I don't have time to go the store. (If we lived near you, though, I'd let you use our van, because I just don't have time to go anywhere.) Anyway, thank you for reminding me to trust God. We'll pray for a van for you!

Sincerely,
Amy in Minnesota

Teena said...

I often tell myself that if it wasn't for the trials in my life... I wouldn't be who I am. It is very hard at times and sometimes I wonder .... but then I find myself crying out to Him and He gives me the grace I need ....

His grace is sufficient....

I can remember the baby years.... and kind of being in survival mode but now I am on the other side and I have more time to spend reading and praying.... I do love that time... but do miss the baby years.

Hugs....

Maureen said...

Thank you Cindy for this word. I too have been challenged in this area and so appreciate your heart.

Blessings,
Maureen

Thanks for visiting my blog... I am so blessed by yours.