Thursday, January 11, 2007

Joel's Psalm


Joel continues to cling to life. His heart rate this morning is 99, his blood pressure is 107/74, and his temperature is good. His hemoglobin level is 9.9. We are trusting that the Lord will maintain his hemoglobin level.

This morning the Lord directed me to a Psalm and I am considering it Joel's Psalm. This is amazing:

Psalm 41:

Blessed is he that considereth the poor: the Lord will deliver him in time of trouble.
The LORD will preserve him and keep him alive; and he shall be blessed upon the earth: and thou wilt not deliver him unto the will of his enemies.
The Lord will strengthen him upon the bed of languishing: thou wilt make all his bed in his sickness.
I said, Lord be merciful unto me: heal my soul; for I have sinned against thee.
Mine enemies speak evil of me, when shall he die and his name perish?
And if he come to see me, he speaketh vanity: his heart gathereth iniquity to itself; when he goeth abroad, he telleth it.
All that hate me whisper together against me: against me do they devise my hurt.
An evil disease, say they, cleaveth fast unto him; and now that he lieth he shall rise up no more.
Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heal against me.
But thou, O Lord, be merciful unto me, and raise me up, that I may requite them.
By this I know that thou favorest me, because mine enemy doth not triumph over me.
And as for me, thou upholdest me in mine integrity, and settest me before thy face forever.
Blessed be the Lord God of Israel from everlasting, and to everlasting: Amen, and Amen.

As I have meditated and researched it has become clear to me that this is a struggle for the sanctity of life. Is life a sacred gift from God, or is it not? We believe that it is. Two days ago I met a young man around 6 or 7 years old in the PICU visiting. He was in a special chair that appeared to be designed with a repirator. His name was Isaiah. I stopped and spoke with him and told him about the names of some of my boys. We have been blessed with Caleb, Daniel, Elijah, Micah, Andrew, Joshua, Jeremiah, Josiah and of course, Joel. Isaiah would fit right in.

We spoke for a moment and parted. Later I pondered, would he be next? Would someone some day make the judgement that he was not fit to live because he needs a repirator?

In one of the documents that I read the medical community has discussed what they call a 'higher brain death standard' where the legal definition of death could be expanded and applied to more people and their lives could be taken as well. Where will this end?

I thank the Lord for my son Joel. I know from the communications that we have received that he has touched so many lives. We are trusting God, by his mercy, to raise him up for His glory. Please continue to hold us up in prayer. There are times when our faith gets weak, and we need you to lift up our arms in the battle.

14 comments:

Stephen said...

I have been blessed reading about your family's faith in God for bringing you through this trial. I will continue to pray for Joel.

LJR said...

My daughter is also on a ventilator much like the boy you saw. She is 2 and she is our miracle. I pray that you find the miracle you are so desperately searching for. God Bless Joel. I have been praying non-stop for him.

LJR said...

"But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds," declares the LORD. - Jeremiah 30:17

Russ R. said...

Joel shall live and not die!! God's Word is final.

Determan Family said...

Terry & Cindy we are praying for you. Sorry we have not came to visit we didn't want to be in the way. Please if there are any needs let us know. We love you.
John & Beth

{{huggs}}

McDreamy said...

Still praying. We love "Joel's Psalm". The Word truly speaks to all of life does it not?! Praise Him who is able to do above all that we can even ask!!

Matt and Suzanne

Rachel and Jason said...

When I heard Joel's story it immediately started praying for him and your family. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Teena said...

I love Joel's Psalm. I thank you so much for sharing. YOUR testimony and faith touch us in ways we can not describe. We are holding you up.... you are in our prayers throughout the day.

May God continue to allow others to come into your life and share their testimony.

May God give Cindy and you His strength, His peace....

and as Christel said:
Lord, stir Joel's mind, his consciousness, breathe your healing light, life and love into his very being...

blessings,
Teena wife to Billy 26 yrs
mom to Michael 21, Mandi 18, Dakota 13, Alyssa 9, Wyatt 4 & Wesley 3
He makes the barren woman the JOYFUL mother of children Ps.113:9
www.homeschoolblogger.com/teena6

busymom3g said...

Terry & Cindy,
Our hearts are going out to you and we are praying daily / hourly for little Joel and you all! God is good and He is in control. We pray that His will be done in Joel and your family with the giving of stength, peace and confort to handle what ever lays in your path.
As I write I just want to share an inscription left in a bible given to me 19 years ago from my "beloved Youth Director" what reminded me to keep my eyes to the heavens, my knees on the carpet and my nose in the Word! So Terry, my belived youth director, that is where I am and you are too so the only thing left to do is to be still and know that He is God and He will show Himseld mighty through this valley!
Thanks for being such a testimony through this all! You and Cindy are amazing and Joel is a miracle! God is with you!

Love & prayers,
Leslie ( Moltz) Medlock & the family ~ WCBC

By the grace of God ... said...

Joel and your family are continually on my heart and mind.
May the Lord bless you all, strengthen you in all areas, and place His healing touch on Joel and keep His angels encamped about you all and doubly so for Joel.
In Jesus' Name I pray.
He is more than able. Upholding you in prayer and support. Crook Family, Kansas

Debbie said...

We continue to pray for you all and little Joel.

Ken, Debbie & Lisa May Fields

Elizabeth Giromini said...

Still Praying.

suzyok said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
suzyok said...

Terry & Cindy Just had to check on Joel and was blessed by Joel's Psalm. I have had so many e-mails and calls wanting me to let you know that they are holding Joel and family in their prayers. Your son has touched so many people. Your testimonies and faith are such a blessing to us all. When your faith seems weak please remember that we are there for you. Thank you for sharing with us and May the Lord hold you up in these difficult times. Susie Musick